Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Casts, Funerals and Do-Overs

It's been a little while since my last post. It's not because I didn't have things to report but that I haven't had the time to sit. Picking up from the last post... I did not have to call the librarian to apologize and everyone made it home in one piece and still (sort of) speaking to each other. What I didn't tell you was that while the kids were at the library, I was waiting for the Dr.'s office to call me. On his birthday, 6/11, Isaac fell while skateboarding. He kept saying his wrist hurt but he could move it pretty well. His arm was a little swollen but every time I asked if his arm hurt he would say no, just my wrist. He even played "Rock Band" all day on Thursday. Every once in a while he would say "my wrist hurts when I do this" (while twisting his wrist in a circle) so we would say "just don't do that". So Thursday night he reached out with his palm facing down and turn his arm palm facing up, when he did this he grabbed his forearm and SCREAMED! Which caused me to say, that's not his wrist and I decided to call the Dr. in the morning. Once the Dr. called back they sent us straight to X-ray and sure enough, Isaac broke his arm. Arm, not his wrist. They put it in a splint and said we would have to go to the "fracture clinic". Which basically means go home and wait for another call to get an appt. We were planning on having Isaac's party on Saturday but cancelled it since he was in so much pain. It was really odd, but his arm seemed to bother him more once it was in the splint in the proper position. Saturday afternoon, our beloved bearded dragon, Sparky, died. It was truly a sad day at our house. I never thought I would learn to love a reptile so much. We had a funeral in the front yard. Sparky was laid to rest in the rose garden. As we were getting started, the shovel that Chris had leaned up against the fence fell over and hit Isaac on the head! This was one of those things that I watched happen but couldn't tell you how it happened. The shovel should of hit Chris in the arm, it looked like the shovel bent around Chris's back and whacked Isaac on the head. It was so weird. Poor Isaac was sitting in the dirt, with his arm in a splint, dead dragon on his lap , holding his head in his good hand saying this is the worst summer ever and we're only 3 days into it. After we finished saying our good-byes to Sparky, Chris and I declared a summer do-over. We told Isaac we were starting fresh and would take him where ever he wanted to go. After a dinner of sushi at "I love Sushi", dessert at Papa Hayden's, and listening to 2 slightly drunk guys singing on their patio, he was smiling and laughing again. On Wednesday, a full week after he broke his arm, he got his cast put on. It's bright green fiberglass with a gore-tex liner. The liner makes it completely waterproof! This means he can shower, swim, play in the sprinklers and all that fun summer water stuff. In a cruel twist of fate, the Dr. said NO bicycles and NO skateboards and our friends, Anthony and Katie, bought Isaac his dream skateboard. Since he can't ride it, he has been sleeping with it. OK, he says he's not sleeping with it because it's not in the bed with him, it's just on the floor right next to his bed. Minor details.


Sad skater boy.


In Loving Memory

of

Sparky




Sparky taking a bath.






The memorial in the rose garden.

No comments: